Convenient once-daily dosing1
Initiating therapy and ongoing assessment of Qsymia patients
It's important to initiate therapy correctly to help your patients get started with appropriate supply. Write 2 prescriptions.
Start patients on 2 weeks on Qsymia 3.75 mg/23 mg.1
Patients may or may not lose weight during this starter dose period. Encourage them to move on to the recommended therapeutic dose for weight loss.
On week 3, start patients on the recommended dose of Qsymia 7.5 mg/46 mg.1
If patients achieve 3% weight loss or greater after 12 weeks they may continue at this dose.
After 12 weeks at the recommended dose, if weight loss is less than 3%, discontinue or escalate dosage.1
To escalate, write 2 prescriptions
Start patients on 2 weeks on Qsymia 11.25 mg/69 mg.1
Patients should stay on this dose for 2 weeks.
Followed by monthly prescription of Qsymia 15 mg/92 mg.1
Continue patients with monthly prescriptions.
At 12 weeks after escalating to the top dose
- In patients with moderate hepatic impairment or moderate/severe renal impairment, the maximum dose should not exceed the recommended dose (7.5 mg/46 mg)
- The suggested follow-up is 2-8 weeks
- For more information, see the Prescriber Dosing and Management Checklist (PDF)
After starting treatment with Qsymia, at each visit monitor all patients for:
- Weight, status of comorbidities, and achievement of goals
- Adjustments/modifications to concomitant medications
- Use of effective contraception, if applicable. Test for pregnancy on a monthly basis if patient is a female of reproductive potential
- Heart rate: discontinue for sustained elevations
- Emergence/worsening depression, suicidal thoughts or behaviors
- Important side effects (eg, cognitive dysfunction, glaucoma, metabolic acidosis, kidney stones)
- Consider lowering dose or discontinuing medication for patients who experience important side effects
Counsel patients at each visit to:
- Consistently use contraception to avoid pregnancy because of the increased risk of teratogenicity, if she is a female of reproductive potential. Refer these patients to the Risk of Birth Defects with Qsymia patient brochure
- Modify their lifestyle, eat properly, and engage in regular physical activity
- Not share Qsymia with anyone else
- Report any symptoms of concern
Qsymia is the only once-daily combination pill proven to significantly reduce weight — see the results over time and create a plan for your patients.1-5REVIEW THE CLINICAL DATA
Learn about the release of the components of once-daily Qsymia.1HOW QSYMIA WORKS